Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Rain

Its rainy in Richmond this morning. It's one of the first rainy days we've had this summer and for whatever reason as I sat here this morning reading the Bible, I looked out the window and thought about Blacksburg. I guess I remember sitting in Bollos so many mornings when it would rain like this and I would stare out that window and think about life, same as I did today. It's funny that something apparently quite random could trigger such nostagalia in my heart but I guess that's what made it home, the tiny, supposedly insignificant things.

I've spent the last couple months feeling like I couldn't miss Blacksburg. I felt like if I gave into that emotion I would somehow trap myself in a memory to the detriment of the life I am now living - which is equally amazing in its own right. The life I'm living now is amazing, Katie, Richmond, Commonwealth (our new church), even my job. This is my life now and this is home even if it doesn't completely feel that way yet. Until this place starts to feel completely like home, I guess I should expect to miss Blacksburg from time to time and I guess that's not such a bad thing. Maybe missing my old home is a way to celebrate all that I love about that place - the town, the school, my church, my incredible friends. None of its gone, its just less prevalent in my day-to-day reality now.

So if you're reading this you'll have to forgive my ramblings. I'm moving from one awesome reality to a new, equally awesome, reality and I'm trying to get my head around this. I think I'll just sit here and watch the rain for a while.

2 comments :

Kevin Cieslukowski said...

sniffle...sniff

Anonymous said...

Dude, if nostalgia wasn't a good thing, we wouldn't have 80s radio stations.