Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Thinking Diet

This is Brad Wilson's idea but its just so brilliant I had to post on my blog...think about it and let me know what you think...get it...think about it(!)...hmm...might make more sense after you read it...
--------------------------


Burning calories by "thinking hard" instead of "working hard".
Think about it. The neurons and electrodes in your brain require some sort of energy to operate. So every time to think a thought your brain is sending electro charged signals through the chemical compounds of your neural connections. These electrical currents must come from somewhere! Where does the energy come from to operate your brain? From calories of course. From your metabolic system. Therefore, I must conclude that I can burn calories by thinking.

There's big money in this. I could write a book or two, make a cookbook, start a TV show and radio show, develop an entire program. I'll call it: "The Thinking Diet: Burning Calories by Thinking Deep Thoughts".

Now the only thing I have to do is run some tests to determine what sort of thoughts burn the most calories. For example, maybe thoughts on early renaissance architecture burn more calories than thoughts on femoral arteries. Or maybe thoughts about figs can use more calories than thoughts on checkers stratagem.

Instead of working out, we'll think-out and ponder figs for an hour every day. We could start Think Tank Gyms. No longer do we need expensive weight equipment and tread mills. We'll stock our Think Tank Gyms with lots of chairs and books about early renaissance architecture. People will pay us to provide them with coaching and training classes to better prepare their minds for thinking-out.

I'm pretty sure it will work.
-brad

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to be skeptical here, but I'm not saying Brad's wrong. Brad's pretty much a genius, but all the same...

It would probably be a long chain to get to the part of your body that actually benefits from this type of "workout." I believe it also has something to do with the potassium and sodium ions that our bodies use for electrical signals. Passing an external current (like from a battery) through a muscle connected by electrodes causes it to contract, right, but it's the same as an ion differential that our bodies naturally use. And they're connected this way through the neural pathways from the brain to the muscle. If we're constantly using up those ions (and I mean that ions don't stay ions once they're used, but I'm not sure about that... you get tired for a reason) in our thinking workout, muscles aren't being built up, which are the main consumers of fat when other sources of energy aren't available (like at the end of a physical workout). So what happens? What's actually being consumed? That's right: nothing. However, let's say you're thinking soooo much that even fat is being converted into something that does the same thing as muscles do to consume fat, you know, 'cause you're thinking harder than Brad does on a weekday (albeit, near impossible), you actually start losing weight from thinking. Do you realize how much thinking you do normally? Now, let's turn that into a workout. It's not thinking harder, it's thinking LONGER. More sustained deep thought, instead of just on the commute to work. I'm sure that actually doing a few pushups in the morning is equal to the amount of benefit you'd get if you thought deep thoughts all day long.

That's an opinion based on stuff I thought I learned in grade school (and probably made up right on the spot). But I'm convincing.

Anonymous said...

JD...you sure are convincing. But I give the award to Brad for thinking this up...because you got to give this guy a cookie or something. I think a lot of random stuff, yet I still have yet to forge the way into this entrepeneurnial idea. I say put it in a book and sell it. If nothing else, Dr. Snook will buy it and people respect him so they'll buy it and then you have a domino effect.

Oh yeah...and Snook...I am going to join you and Katie next time for Monument Ave 10K. That many people in one race...oh yeah. Congrats on doing it and doing it well.

-Colbey