Wednesday, December 07, 2005

More Time Than You Think

I just read the best article about Americans' use of time during the week. The article basically says that we have, on average, as much free time during the week as we have work time. Studies like this are great because they dispel the myth that Americans are too busy. Rather, it supports the fact that we're all just really good at wasting time. We're far too busy being stupified by our televisions (we average almost 3 hours a day) or doing something equally as trivial to engage in many other activities that would improve our (mental/physical/social/spiritual) conditions.

The take away for me is that we cannot passively manage our time and expect it to be spent well on a day-to-day basis. We must be active, even aggressive, in the way that we manage and protect our valuable time.

1 comment :

Kevin Cieslukowski said...

Snook, thanks for the article. About 3 months ago I canceled my cable. All I can get with an antenna is ABC. It is tough. I often find myself out of habit picking up the remote to flip on the tube but to no avail.

It actually has been really beneficial. Laura and I read more and talk more. Plus we save 70 bucks a month!