Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Turning Point?

After six months (almost to the day) of being in Richmond, I feel like just recently I've been given some very important insight into things by God. While I don't have time to elaborate right now, I do plan on blogging several times this week about it. Pray, specifically about my thoughts on work and life in Richmond in general. These are the areas that I feel like God is very specifically speaking to me right now. It has gone to show me that finding insight from God can often be best described as "wrestling" with God. I don't think God does this for any frivoluous reason. Rather, I think the process of wrestling with God brings us into closer proximity with him than we may have been for quite a while.

These past few months of wrestling with God have been incredibly rewarding. My take-away and my encouragement to others is to not just walk up to God, ask him a question, and then walk away regardless of the answer (or lack thereof). But, rather, to pursue God. He will never run so fast as to not be caught, but he will run just fast enough for us to see in our hearts whether or not we are willing to seek him out. I know that may be a problematic statement for some people to digest. If it is, please post your thoughts. I'd love to have more conversation about this awesome topic.

3 comments :

Kevin Cieslukowski said...

interesting snook...can't wait to read more.

"israel" means "struggles or wrestles with god".

laura and i are finding ourselves wrestling (wrastlin' to some) with some things right now.

later.

Anonymous said...

oh man..good stuff.

i have a short story to share if that is okay.

i ran track in high school and it was an experience. constant training and such (i was distance and so we ran like 8 miles per day). good for the body, but over time, if you weren't taking the right steps both inside and outside of your training, you were kinda doomed to fail. To be effective come competition day, you had to be serious about it...constantly. One track meet, i was issued the number 2 spot on a 4 by 1600 meter event. for those track enthusiasts...it is a CRAeZay event. each person has to run four laps with a little aluminum tube. ours was this shiny pink...so you get some residence time with the crowd watching you show your masculine side off by holding what some people call a "baton"...did i mention ours was pink...back to the story. I didn't want to run it. I was scared and the other dudes on the other teams were faster and i knew they were comin' with big hits (it isn't football, but i'm trying to make it sound good). our fastest guy was first, i was next...i was running my kaboose off. the spandex i was wearing seemed to even squeeze my rib cage tight and restrict my breathing. lap four came and i managed to stay in third. i don't know how. the last hundred yards were...well...there they were. so close but so far. i was about to die and solely wanted to support my team by finishing well, but my energy was swallowed up somewhere in my legs. the ever present piano was dropping. lead bursts through my veins and my legs started to feel like large pillars of high density concrete. but i looked up and saw our first runner scream "desire, desire, desire!" it was one of those moments that seperate you from the little space you live in..at least for me. i finished the race well. handed off my pink 'baton' and most probably collapsed...i don't quite remember. but this will always be retained in my memory as a deep experience that relates to my relationship with God like your talking about Jason. so many times i 'wrestle' with God on issues. i don't know why at times, but the piano begins to drop some. i may even sense the end of an issue (most times not), but i grow so weary...so weighted down. the 'race' is so hard for me at times. but i look up, and God puts something into my view that describes something deep kinda like that desire story. something that gives me strength that doesn't quite seem possible to strive for growth towards him with this issue. i can't say that about all the issues...but a good bit of them. it would be wrong of me not to be thankful and recognize this as a pure gracious blessing.

just thought i'd share.
i hope if you have choose to read this, your eyes haven't experienced any 'piano' drop and gotten really weary. thanks for reading it if you did make it.

Jason Snook said...

Thanks for the story Colbey, it is fair to say that I've hit my "second wind" here at work. The experience of persevering through the tougher times has been quite rewarding and, in hindsight, I'm glad I stuck it out.