Friday, March 17, 2006

The real story of Saint Patrick

Ah, four leaf clovers and pints of green beer. St. Patrick's Day is really a fun holiday to celebrate. But beyond knowing that we should where green today (which I didn't) many people really have no clue who Saint Patrick is and why we celebrate his life. Here's a real brief history:


His name was Patricius, a young Roman citizen living in Britain with his family back in the 5th century. At the age of 16, Patricius' town was attacked by Irish raiders and he was carried to Ireland as a slave. His master was a druidic high priest who taught him the celtic language and the customs of the druids. Though lukewarm in his faith as a child, Patricius' faith grew deeply during this trying time. At the age of 22, he escaped his master and joined a monistary in France adopting the name Patrick. Twelve years later, God issued Patrick a strong call to go back to Ireland to preach the Gospel to the people that had enslaved him. Stories of Patrick's ministry work in Irleland is legendary even to this day. Among other things, many powerful Celtic prayers are credited to him including one of my favorites, Saint Patrick's breastplate:

I rise today
In power’s strength, invoking the Trinity,
Believing in threeness,
Confessing the oneness,
Of creation’s Creator

I rise today
In the power of Christ’s birth and baptism,
In the power of his crucifixion and burial,
In the power of his rising and ascending,
In the power of his descending and judging.

I rise today
In the power of the love of cherubim,
In the obedience of angels
And service of archangels,
In hope of rising to receive the reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In the predictions of prophets,
In the preaching of apostles,
In the faith of confessors,
In the innocence of holy virgins,
In the deeds of the righteous.

I rise today
In heaven’s might
In sun’s brightness
In moon’s radiance
In fire’s glory
In lightning’s quickness
In wind’s swiftness
In sea’s depth,
In earth’s stability,
In rock’s fixity.


I rise today
With the power of God to pilot me,
God’s strength to sustain me,
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s eye to look ahead for me,
God’s ear to hear me,
God’s word to speak for me,
God’s hand to protect me,
God’s way before me,
God’s shield to defend me,
God’s host to deliver me:
From snares of devils,
From evil temptations,
From nature’s failings,
From all who wish to harm me,
Far or hear,
Alone and in a crowd.

Around me I gather today all these powers
against every cruel and merciless force
to attack my body and soul,
against the charms of false prophets,
the black laws of paganism,
the false laws of heretics,
the deceptions of idolatry,
against spells cast by women, smiths and druids,
and all unlawful knowledge
that harms the body and soul.

May Christ protect me today
Against poison and burning,
Against drowning and wounding,
So that I may have abundant reward;
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me;
Christ to right of me, Christ to left of me;
Christ in my lying, Christ in my sitting, Christ in my rising;
Christ in the heart of all who think of me,
Christ in the tongue of all who speak to me,
Christ in the eye of all who see me,
Christ in the ear of all who hear me.

I rise today
In power’s strength, invoking the Trinity,
Believing in threeness,
Confessing the oneness,
Of creation’s Creator.

For more of Patrick's story, I recommend reading The Celtic Way of Evangelism. It's a fascinating book and an easy read.

Now that you are sufficiently informed on the true meaning of St. Patrick's day you can feel free to celebrate with some green beer!!! Here's a tip: you're not drunk until you have to hold onto the grass to keep from falling off the Earth. :-)

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Dude, that poem's flippin' sweet. I might adapt it to my next song. I'll have to figure out a sweet progression. I couldn't help but read it really fast, as each line, I was like, "Yeah... yeah, that's totally it... oh, gosh this is awesome..."

Excellent blog, my friend!