Friday, March 11, 2005

My challenge

I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog for quite some time. I've always held off because, honestly, I didn't understand why the hell people did it. What a self absorbed waste of time (I thought)! I've come around on that opinion somewhat. I've always thought that journaling in its many forms is a vital discipline for the soul. Journaling is an excavation of the heart, it is the materialization of thought and feeling. What I don't understand is how so many people can do it online. A crucial component of journaling is the ability to be brutally honest about what you think, about what you feel. I don't think its impossible online, I just don't think most people have the balls to be that honest. Perhaps their consulation is that no one reads .00001% of all the crap people are blogging online these days. And so I too now throw my hat into the ring fully believing most of this will be posted for only God and I to read.

So why now? It has nothing to do with 'now' at all. But one day, sometime in the future, I want to be an author. I'm not going to just turn around and write my first book immediately. No, I have to learn how to write. I have to learn how to poor my heart out onto a page. I have to learn how to get all these ideas rattling around in my head onto "paper". And I have to make a habit of it. And all of a sudden all of the things I need to do sounds like a lot of the things that journaling allows me to do. I will blog because I've been able to journal privately for a whlie now. I must learn to do it where someone else might possibly see it.

I think, however, that I will be too honest for most. If my thoughts don't offend some, my language might certainly offend the rest. No apologies, no political correctness, but I will write from my heart. This is the start of my career as an author. I write to no one now, perhaps one day I'll write to millions.

No comments :