Sunday, March 27, 2005

To Die For (part 2)

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to post a reply to the first part of this story. The "end" of the story is really more a reflection on the first. If you really want an end to the story just ask and I'll post the one I thought up. Now here's the reflection:

There's no indication in the story that I had any notion of the object in my possession having any value or meaning. My running initially was just a natural instinct - a simple response to being chased. As I'm being chased, getting shot at, climbing up on a roof, and standing on the edge of that roof, I come to suspect the value of the object because of the ends these men would go to get it. The men's action contradicts their own words on the roof when they tell me the object is of no value. Without even knowing the value of the object I possess, I am able to infer by other's actions that it must have some value even if I don't personally know that yet. And so I turn heel and jump. I'll find out for myself what's so valuable about this object ("soda") but I have to hold onto it long enough to do so.

Having no prior forethought to what I was going to write the other day till it was the screen, I feel very strongly that God gave me this story to tell and ponder myself. There was on part 2 written when I wrote the first. I've spent the past several days thinking about it same as the people who were kind enough to leave their thoughts. Personally, I take two things away from the story:

First, based on the actions of others, I can infer a certain amount of value on something even if I cannot initially see that value myself. But, based on those observations, I must hold onto it long enough to find that out myself. And so, even in the midst of many hypocrites, it was the genuine and passionate spirituality of some that lead me to develop a faith of my own - one based solely on the life and teachings of Jesus the Christ. And, like the story, my initial possession was opposed both by my own doubt and the scorn of others. But with a great deal of perseverance, I held onto my faith long enough to realize its value (Luke 8:4-15) - the value of which I continue to more fully explore and discover each day.

Secondly, and timely for this Easter, I realize that the value of anything is based solely on the ends one is willing to go to get it. It's like what my parents used to say about my comic book collection I claimed was worth so much money: it's only worth that if someone is willing to pay you that price for it. And so, as I reflect on Christ's cross, his death and resurrection, I know how much my life is worth because I know what Someone was willing to pay to save it. I realize that Jesus would rather die that be separated from me.

Standing here in the shadow of his broken body draped over the crest of that lonely hill, I'm humbled by a caliber of love that confounds the world even today. I'm humbled and thankful because I am that object of great value. Even if in my own mind I'm not always convinced of that fact, Jesus certainly was. Happy Easter everybody.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I shall comment!

Hmm, interesting, you being pop. I never thought about what it would be like to be pop. Important pop, at that.

Pop.

So, yeah, value is subjective. Pop. Except, the bottom line is how God sees stuff. Pop. So, there's a line between what you think and what God thinks that we aren't capable of crossing, but that God wanted us to get as close to that line as we can get, and thus he sent/became (that's weird) Jesus. Well, that's one way of looking at it. Pop. That means, he values us, and whether we agree with it or not (not being behind that line), what God decrees is how it is. Period. I'm just glad He wanted to tell us about it! Like you telling your pop that it's important. I don't suggest you start talking to your pop, but if you think it's important, you might as well let the pop know.